Sunday 20 March 2016

Signs of Spring

Hello Lovelies, 
though the past two days have been horribly grey we were blessed with a good amount of sunshine earlier in the week. I've  been walking local footpaths and absorbing the winter colours...for it surely wont be long till all the brown turns green........



I've actually really liked the colours of winter this year. I've loved the bare tree silhouettes, and marvelled at the colour of the lichen which really stands out when there is not much colour to be found.
Is it yellow, is it green? I haven't really tried to give this colour a name.......


The weeping willow has a similar, if paler, version of this colour too..........


There's not much colour in the little bit of woodland here....but oh, that light, those shadows......



Further along my walk I did come across some colour by the footpath steps. Such a sweet touch to plant bulbs in the woodland here...with the sun shining through it's petals this one positively glowed.........


I love to see a blue sky backdrop, making this favourite church of mine look extra pretty.......


In the churchyard this little stone statue ( covered in that brightly coloured lichen) caught my eye.........


Back home the sun was still shining on my kitchen windowsill....


I love this time of year for the inexpensive flowers and plants that bring spring indoors....

50p primulas from the supermarket.

I couldn't resist moving my daffs into the lounge when I sat down for a cuppa and some crochet......


I'm really enjoying working up another baby blanket in winter colours. Of course mustard had to feature........


Look, it's exactly right for the eye-catching Lichen.......



There are quiet a lot of "Temperature Blankets" popping up on instagram. Have you heard of this idea? You choose colours to represent the different degrees and work a row or a square for each day. It's an interesting idea. There's a pinterest page of examples HERE

This is not a temperature blanket, but it's certainly seasonally inspired. Cool blues and frosty whites. Wintry grey and muted green...........

( and mustard for the lichen of course)


On Thursday we also enjoyed sunshine on our group walk. Which was a relief after two cloudy and muddy weeks.

The wintry countryside looked pretty in sunshine........


Aaaah, fresh air and a view, lovely.........


Still no sign of leaves on the Oak trees........


After a couple of miles we stopped for coffee in a playground. The leader had made brownies for us all. They were delicious and I'm sure they tasted even better for being eaten outdoors in the sunshine and washed down with coffee from a flask........


It seems every churchyard is filled with Daffodils at the moment.........


Along the canal side the reedmace was shedding the fluffy stuff so beloved of the birds for their nest lining..........


I loved seeing this original canal bridge in great, restored condition......


Lunch was a picnic sat on this Market cross.........


This gorgeous old image is borrowed from HERE. It still looks exactly the same and we took photos of the group from the same spot :0)

The sun still shone and the old cottages looked so charming.........


After lunch there were more easy, flat miles.......


 pretty locks to admire...........


and bridges to stand on and and admire the reflections.........


In the last village we walked through I loved this house sign.....1 Rosy Row ....wonderful :0).......


Here's cute Rosy Row.......


And here's another charming old home......


Crossing the stream the water sparkled in the afternoon sunlight.........



And the group climbed the gentle hill towards the end of our circular walk.......


we were parked near this fairytale castle. It looked perfectly romantic in the hazy light.........




In the fields below it's elevated position newborn  lambs charmed us.......


The perfect sign of spring.......


One of the group said if there were a T.V. programme which was an hour of just watching lambs gambolling in the fields she would sit and watch it. I think I would too :0)......



These twins were well away from their mother. We hoped they would not stray too far.........


and thankfully as we left they ran off towards the flock........


It was a perfect end of winter and eve of spring walk. And today it is officially spring....yay.
Happy Equinox Lovelies.
Jacquie x

25 comments:

  1. A lovely post and some wonderful scenery m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to walk where you walk. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your walks. Spring is sprung. That's a very clever shot with the daffodil - and I loved the churchyard statue! Belvoir castle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovely photos!!!! I join Ruth on the comment that I too want to walk with you. The first thing I saw today when I opened the computer was "First Day Of Spring!" I am happy for that and wish you a wonderful Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Spring to you, too, Jacquie. Every one of your posts is a gift to the rest of us, that allows us to see the seasonal changes in splendid landscapes. Clearly the colorways of your walks are reflected in your crocheting!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful signs of spring! Those reedmace are called cattails here in the US. I notice the squirrels eating elm blossoms this morning and most all of our trees are in bloom now all but the mighty oaks. A beautiful time of year, great for those long walks.Loved rosy row!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely, lovely post today. Thank you. You take some good photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely walk, I'm a big fan of bare trees but yes they will soon be filling out with leaves, welcome Spring! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pics! And oooh, the crochet....gorgeous! :) I'm blogging again, if you fancy popping in. I'm over at thejollyknitter.blogspot.co.uk. Love, Tina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blanket, the colours are great.
    Your pictures from your walk are great I do love the daffodils and we certainly have had some wonderful blue skies over the last week interspersed with some dull ones.
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness.. your post is full of wonderful things! Your blanket is magnificent.. the colors are great.. you have such an eye for color. I also love seeing the historic stone cottages and the castle in the mist.. you live in a fantastic place. The lambs were a treat.. I would watch that tv program too. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful post! Lovey pictures and spring atmosphere! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. inordinately pleased to see I have the same mug as you! keep sending the lovely countryside walks and blogs, I have been stuck rather with an injured leg,instead of being out walking as I normally would be, and looking at your lovely images is a great cheerer-upper. Thanks Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. A post full of delightful photos! I've not had the go get out for a walk for a good few weeks (I've kept up my smaller moments of daily wildtime outdoors though) so I really enjoyed seeing your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your walks and commentary....keep them coming until I can make it across the pond again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy sigh. Our little world is colouring up nicely though we don't have daffs yet. That lichen colour makes me think of my childhood box of Crayola crayons (the deluxe 64-count size with the built-in sharpener). "Yellow-green" and "Green-yellow" were both included and were nearly identical to each other and to that lichen. Here we have that same lichen in a kind of pale greyish-turquoise which is lovely.

    A joyous Spring to you Jacquie! Thanks for the lovely walk - such a gorgeous castle and what adorable lambs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The colour of that lichen is gorgeous. It's been grey here as well for a couple of days, I'm waiting for a warm spell. Lovely walk, and your crochet is great. I really like the idea of a temperature blanket. Wishing you a good week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely, lovely, lovely walk! I enjoyed each photo. I'm going to come back and look again! I like your baby crochet blanket. I like the idea of mixing colors according to temps. Smart. I'm a clunky crocheter. Someday I'll get better! I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely, lovely, lovely walk! I enjoyed each photo. I'm going to come back and look again! I like your baby crochet blanket. I like the idea of mixing colors according to temps. Smart. I'm a clunky crocheter. Someday I'll get better! I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos of your group walk, you certainly get to see some interesting places and scenery. I have been tempted to make a temperature blanket but wish I had started at the beginning of the year, perhaps I will try it next year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank You for this lovely post Jacquie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you could see the smile that hits my face while I sit here alone and see that you've updated your blog, you'd laugh. I love it!
    And... is it yellow? Is it green? Yes! haha. Grellow. Yeen. Love that yarn too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful photos ....so England...impressive!! I so miss the daffodils and the primroses too. Thanks you so much for these glorious views of home! I hadn't heard of the temperatures blankets I am going to check them out on Pinterest.

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.