Wednesday 3 January 2018

The Final Walk of 2017

Hello Lovelies,
Thank you for all your kind comments on my previous post...and for all your visits and comments throughout 2017. They are such a huge encouragement to me and I'm touched that some of you find the time to write a thoughtful message.

As promised here are some views from my final walk of 2017.  As I had been busy last year it had looked like I may not make 1000 miles of outdoor "boots on" walking this time. But a concerted effort to catch up left my total at 998 miles by the 30th of December. Happily the weather forecast was good for the next day and hubby was amenable  to drive us somewhere interesting to finish off my third year of walking 1000 miles.

I chose somewhere I had not walked before, because I like a little adventure. The sun shone brightly and the sky was stunningly blue when we arrived at The Longshaw Estate


As soon as we set out there was a tantalising peek at the moorland I wanted to explore.


At first the route was through a pretty wooded glade.



With tumbling streams


Our group was myself, hubby, eldest and my friend M. We chatted happily as we walked along.


The landscape was just as I had hoped, rugged and covered in the burnt orange and gold shades of winter moorland.


There were rocks to clamber on


and if you are daft like my other half, you can try and kid everyone you are about to fall down a deep well... however we were not fooled, we know him too well :0)


I was so happy we were treated to some sunshine on this walk. It really brings those wonderful colours alive.



Though the cloud did begin to gather as we walked further.


Looking back to where we had started the light was hazy and quite magical.


There were lots of climbers on the rocky outcrops here.


And here's a wider angle shot of the view back down the valley we walked up.


At the head of the valley you could walk across the streams, or over the bridge. Maybe you can guess which one of the group dared getting wet in the fast flowing water.

yup, Hubby.


Now we were around half way through our 4.5 mile walk so I guess this was possibly the spot where I clocked 1000 miles. Sigh. It was wild and beautiful and perfect.


Just look at that skyline. We were heading towards those hills.


It was a real moorland clamber here, picking your way across  the boulders to avoid the peaty puddles and mud.



Then it was a short steep climb to the top of Higger Tor


At the top we were rewarded with far reaching views.


Gosh it was windy up here.


But I loved the fresh air and the "top of the world" feeling.


This was zoomed in on our next destination...the rocky outcrop and ancient fortifications of Carl Wark


As you can see here we were not the only people enjoying the views :0)


And after sheltering behind a rock for a drink and a snack we began the scramble down from the tor. This was the bit eldest liked best.


I loved seeing the birds of prey hovering, practically motionless on the strong wind



and the evidence of human activity from past millennia on the fort.




Here the end of our walk was in sight and we just made a bee line for the road. That was a mistake.


I got distracted by the sight of Sphagnum moss


Heather.


and Grouse hiding in the dead bracken


We ended up in a bog. Ooops.



Having escaped that with only one wet foot between us we had to find a narrow spot to cross the stream. M was not happy about this, but she survived :0)


Back at the lodge I loved the sound of the guided walks...which are free



And as this was a special walk we splurged on hot drink and cake from the cafe. Not on my thrifty timetable but as it said in the cafe...31 scones purchased pays for one meter of dry-stone wall to be repaired.
And it was scrummy...with ALL the butter :0)

Not the best photo but I was hungry.

I do hope we can visit this area again in the not too distant future. It's only a little over an hour's travel time from home.  I'd love to explore further and see it in different seasons.
 THIS is the route we walked ♥

Happy New Year Everybody
Jacquie x

P.S. Anybody attempting to walk 1000 miles in 2018? I know I am fortunate to be able to do this so I am starting all over again :0)
Remember it's less that 3 miles a day and you can count all your steps if you prefer. There's some great inspiration HERE  


14 comments:

  1. Simply stunning. Beautiful scenery and a wonderful end to your 1000 miles. I might try it again this year. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS! I would love to join you but fear I would not be able to complete it, but I am with you every step of the way on your journey.....just through my computer! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos taken on your walk. I would love to see the moors and visit my relatives up in Scotland but it is a long trip from Australia and I probably should have made it when I was younger. I will just have to settle for seeing the lovely photos on blogs such as yours. Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, delicious scone, well done you for supporting the dry-stone walling. What a glorious day for your walk, and a beautiful spot. Crowded up there, and I can see why. The photos of the birds of prey are great. Now I have a dog I'm sure I walk at least 3 miles a day. Quite a thought that it will mount up to 1,000 in a year. Well done on your third one thousand miles, and I'm wishing many happy walks in 2018. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to do the 1000 miles things but I really don't think I'd make it, can't do proper walking until we've moved house. I might aim for 500 miles! the Longshaw cafe do very good scones, I always call in for one! I love walking here, it's not so long since we last walked this area (when the heather was in bloom) but I've been thinking about Longshaw over Christmas! I recommend Padley Gorge for next time you are in this area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* on your 1000 miles! I'm very impressed and I so enjoy seeing your treks and the flora and fauna you find. Here's to another 1000 for 2018! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a fabulous walk and I am with M lol Wonderfu how you achieve this each year....go you xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Done you! a great way to stay fit and stress free. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on finishing your goal!
    Too busy packing up a life and a home this yr for sure. Plus, I'm in the States... in the country but we don't have public walking paths available to us here. Unfortunately. I'd have to take the same walk every day which I used to do. Hopefully after I move, I will have a good walking area. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! A beautiful way to complete your walking goal in 2017. Love the public paths that are protected in the UK. A very happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photos of a beautiful area. Happy New year (belatedly). Well done on the 1000 miles. I am now the proud owner of a 'new' hand-me-down smartphone and have the MapMyWalk App (which I think you recommended?) and fully intend to log up 1000 miles myself in 2018. I'm loving the little maps the app produces and the wealth of statistics. Since I downloaded the app on Boxing Day I've clocked 60 miles, so a pretty good start, but I'm not at work at the moment, which is when it will become more tricky! Good luck with your own quest this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on reaching your goal again! Quite an achievement! You sure have so much beautiful country to hike around! Thanks for sharing all of the wonderful photos of your walking adventures! I look forward to seeing where you will go next! Happy New Year! and Happy Hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love your walks, what a fab one. Happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Thank you for the beautiful photos. Even something that seems so common like heather is interesting. I've read about the moors and how the heather changes colour in books, but I've never seen it close-up (I live in Australia).
    You've inspired me to set my own walking goals for the coming year!

    Happy new year!
    xx Katie
    P.S. Sorry this comment was a bit late, sometimes I get behind on my reading.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.